Every organization invests in cleaning. It’s a key part of providing a pleasant working environment for employees and guests. But few organizations know what “clean” really means. Surfaces can harbor all sorts of unwanted microbes even when they look polished. That’s why comprehensive cleaning needs to include a step to protect surfaces from contamination between janitorial sessions.
By using PreventX 24/7™ antimicrobial technology from NewEraSOS, workplaces can achieve comprehensive protection.
Why are surfaces so hard to protect?
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security says that germs and viruses can remain a threat for a long time after someone sneezes or coughs nearby. For example, an influenza virus can live on surfaces for two to eight hours after an area is exposed. That means that during flu season it’s important to try and kill the germs and viruses that live on surfaces where people work.
Any surface can be a source of contamination. Spaces like common areas, desks and bathrooms are most likely to be places that gather the most germs. Kitchens and bathrooms are especially problematic thanks to the presence of dampness, which not only creates an environment where bacteria and viruses can thrive, but also creates ideal conditions for mold, mildew, and other fungi to spread.
Cleaning office spaces the old-fashioned way
Protecting surfaces in workplaces from contamination by microorganisms has long required a steady investment of time (in labor) and money (in supplies). The reason keeping a workplace clean is such a big job gets clear once you take stock of everything that needs to be done to do the job right:
- Use as directed. Read the product label and determine the length that the product must stay wet on the surface before being wiped off—the so-called “kill time” of a conventional cleaner varies widely from product to product.
- Protect the user. Many conventional cleaning products are toxic. According to the CDC, the first step to any cleaning routine is wearing disposable gloves and eye protection to reduce the risk of exposure. The area being disinfected also needs adequate ventilation.
- Identify the high-touch surfaces and target them. For example, if cleaning a bathroom, start with high-touch surfaces like handles, light switches, countertops, faucets, sinks and toilets. If nondisposable towels are used, then they must be replaced constantly.
- The right product for every surface. Common areas like lounges, couches, pillows, tables, chairs, etc. must be wiped down with disinfectant. If possible, remove couch covers and pillow coverings to be laundered. All soft surfaces must also be wiped down. These include any rugs or carpets. The latter might require the use of specialized floor cleaning solutions. Doorknobs, phones and light switches also must be cleaned.
- Take special care of hardware. In office spaces, keyboards, monitors, desk chairs, desks, partitions, windows, etc. must be addressed since they may harbor unseen contaminants. For electronics like keyboards, employers might consider using wipeable covers for easier cleaning. Surfaces must be completely dried to avoid affecting the electronics.
- Focus on the kitchen. Kitchens are areas that require a lot of hands-on cleaning. All utensils should be run through the dishwasher, and countertops, refrigerators, microwaves, coffee pots, coffee or tea holders, and the like must be scrubbed since these are commonly touched.
- Don’t forget outdoor spaces. If an office has an outside common area, that should also be thoroughly cleaned as well. Clean all chairs, benches, exterior door handles and tables.
- Responding to illness. If someone was sick in a workspace, the employer might need to consider closing off the area and allowing it to sit for 24 hours before attempting to disinfect it to reduce the likelihood of bugs transferring to the cleaning staff.
A better surface protection solution
Following all the steps we’ve outlined above has been thought of as “good enough” for a long time. The problem is they don’t really achieve the goal that everyone wants to achieve. Most store-bought cleaning solutions don’t kill microorganisms, they just push them around. And though any one product may be inexpensive, by the time a complete collection of products is assembled to handle different surfaces, the cost is quite high.
There’s another way to protect surfaces from contamination and make future cleanings easier and more effective. PreventX 24/7™ by NewEraSOS is a durable, antimicrobial surface protectant that stops microorganisms in their tracks. It is nontoxic, safe and durable for up to 90 days following application.
Not only does PreventX 24/7™ protect surfaces for a longer period of time, it also makes cleaning and disinfecting much easier. PreventX 24/7™ deactivates mold, mildew, bacteria, fungus and other microbes on contact, and it can be applied to any surface, including lounge cushions or kitchen countertops. Plus, no need to worry about being exposed to toxic chemicals while cleaning, because PreventX 24/7™ is designed to be safe.
When used as part of a broader cleaning strategy, PreventX 24/7™ reduces or eliminates the need for conventional cleaners. Users can move more quickly, because the surfaces they’re cleaning are already protected, reducing overall cleaning times. The result is a big net savings.
At NewEraSOS we are a team of scientists committed to changing the way businesses, hospitals, schools, and other organizations protect their surfaces. We don’t just sell cutting-edge technology. We also provide the guidance our customers need to get the best results. To get started with a better way of achieving a comprehensive clean in your workplace, contact NewEraSOS today.