Why are Mold, Mildew, and Fungus So Hard to Fight?

Why are Mold, Mildew, and Fungus So Hard to Fight?

All types of fungi, including mold and mildew, can be huge problems for everyone from homeowners to restaurateurs to industrial managers. Most people resort to heavy use of chemicals to get rid of them. But there are other options.

NewEraSOS is the world’s exclusive distributor of products incorporating PreventX 24/7™, a non-toxic antimicrobial barrier that protects surfaces from over 100 organisms—including mold, mildew, bacteria and more.

What makes mold and mildew so hard to combat?

The Difference Between Mold and Mildew

Mold and mildew are both fungi that thrive in warm, moist areas. There are subtle differences between these two, and understanding the distinctions is key to fighting them. The best way to distinguish between the two is by closely examining how the fungus looks.

Mold is often green or black and will cover surfaces that have been wet. The texture of it is often slimy or fuzzy. Mold will be found on both indoor and outdoor surfaces that have had some type of water damage, including crawl spaces and sheds.

Mildew, on the other hand, is usually white, yellow or gray. While it also grows on previously or currently wet surfaces, the texture is very powdery. Mildew likes to grow on surfaces that have a lot of humidity, including basements and bathrooms—or items that are slow to dry, like paper and fabric.

While mildew can be troublesome, it typically doesn’t hurt the surfaces on which it grows. The same can’t be said for mold. Mold can quickly spread and cause major structural damage. It’s also more likely to cause health issues like migraines, respiratory problems, allergic reactions, fatigue or, even worse, heart problems. So, it’s important to stop mold before it spreads and fix the cause of the outbreak as soon as possible.

What Causes Issues with Mold, Mildew, and other Fungi?

Step one to stopping the spread of fungi is to address the root cause of the problem. If a space has suffered flood damage, the owner should invest in remediation services as soon as possible. If moisture problems are related to a leaking pipe or an air conditioning unit, a professional’s help might be needed to permanently resolve the issue.

Common reasons for mold and mildew growth include the following:

  • High indoor humidity
  • Leaky washing machine hoses
  • Roof leaks
  • Poorly ventilated bathrooms
  • Bare-earth crawl spaces
  • Humidifiers
  • Condensation pans
  • Non-waterproofed basements
  • Sloping yards or landscaping
  • Leaking air conditioners and pipes
  • Poor indoor ventilation

In some cases, the source of mold or mildew is difficult to find. A professional’s help might be needed to track down the root source, which may be lurking behind a wall or under a floor. The main goal is prevention. By addressing the source of the moisture, the mold and mildew challenges can be tackled without concern that they’ll just come back.

What Makes It So Hard to Get Rid of These Fungi?

Once the source of the leak is fixed, it’s time to take care of the fungi itself. Mildew is relatively easy to remove and can be done with a mildew cleaner.

Mold is an opposite story. Molds can produce tens of thousands of spores. In fact, mold counts can be as high as 125,000 spores per cubic meter. Spores are mostly invisible to the naked eye, and they will consume almost anything in their way—paper, cheese, soap, drywall—the list is endless.

When mold is found, cutting out what is visible will hardly be enough to eliminate the issue. That’s because most of the organism is way below the surface. Plus, roughly handling moldy material only releases more spores, making the cleanup project even more difficult. Even if they’re dormant, once spores come in contact with a moist surface, they can quickly come back to life.

The combination of all these issues makes combating these fungi so difficult for the average person or business owner. The result often is a hefty bill from a professional remediation service to get rid of these issues.

NewEraSOS offers a range of products to affordably protect surfaces so mold and mildew have nowhere to grow..

Where Our Products Come into Play

At NewEraSOS, our goal is to bring a wide range of scientifically optimized technologies to the market to help solve some of today’s biggest bioload issues. We are the exclusive distributor of products that incorporate PreventX 24/7™, an EPA-registered antimicrobial. By itself, this product can create a barrier against all types of organisms, including mold, mildew and a lot more. PreventX 24/7™ provides reliable, cost-effective results and will continue to protect surfaces for 90 days.

PreventX 24/7™ works by leaving a durable, long-lasting barrier on surfaces. When a microorganism comes into contact with the barrier, it is destroyed or rendered inactive by a microscopic bed of “carbon needles.” PreventX 24/7™ is nontoxic and safe for use in a broad range of contexts, including classrooms, board rooms, hospitals, and more.

To take surface protection efforts a step further, PreventX SCT includes PreventX 24/7™ and is engineered to work as a daily surface cleaner—it even handles heavy-duty messes.

Both are designed to serve as a durable and long-lasting component of a strategy for preventing mold and mildew problems. All our products are safe and non-toxic so they can be used anywhere you need them.

Learn more today by calling us at (888) 637-6760 ext. 165 or by sending us an email.